Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Revised Summit Plan

Weather is weather and completely unpredictable at this point. After having been informed by the various weather services that the previous weather window was "short lived and dangerous" we abandoned our summit plans and have been waiting. Well, the window was good, and we missed the first one, but we are going for the second one with gusto and commitment.

The goal will be to summit on the 22nd of May. Based on current forecasts it should be a stable weather window starting on the 21st and continuing until the 24th. It gives us plenty of time to get up to high camp in semi-decent weather and have the opportunity to get to the summit on a clear day.

So the question that you may have is what have we been doing in the meantime. Well, not much. We went up to Camp 2 on the 16th which was the start of our previous window and slept a night to keep our acclimitization in order, had a horrible, sleepless night and returned to ABC for breakfast. We have taken showers, shaved (some of us), and done laundry. Life in ABC has not been exciting. Although in the last 24 hours we have arranged a helilcopter for a portion of the team who want to fly back to Kathmandu rather then trekking the 5 days out. There is some logic to this decision. I have decided to trek out because I want to enjoy the fun of seeing green and smelling something other then rock and snow.

So to sum up our plan.We will leave ABC on May 20th and go directly to Camp 2. We will try and arrive early in the day so that we can have plenty of time to rest and hydrate. Then on the 21st we will head up the Makalu La and go to our Camp 4. Again leaving early and trying to arrive in Camp 4 with time to spare for hydration and eating. Then we will leave on the morning of the 22nd at about 1 am to arrive on the summit by 10 am. Then we will return from the summit, break camp 4 and descend to Camp 2 by 5pm on the 22nd.

Climb Hard, Climb High, Come Home

Chris Klinke, ABC Makalu

9 comments:

A2Girl said...

Hey Chris - thanks for the update - be safe - good thoughts to you this weekend!

love, your sis - Amy

Smartino said...

Hi Eric and Team:
On the eve of your departure, wishing you a safe and successful climb. Your courage is inspiring! Sarah Martino

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

ser said...

Enjoy it. I am envious. 22nd seems to be the consensus. Reports are 150+ heading up on Everest looking toward that date to summit.

Niels said...

On Everest NF (Finally news!), they are allso going for 22 and after, as winds are looking to cool down.

So, it may well be now. Good luck once again, wax your shovel....you are going to shovel way up.


Niels

Doug said...

We are keeping our fingers crossed for the weather. Best of luck in the coming days and we will be praying for your safe return. Rob, I am heading to Europe tonight if the volcano in Iceland stays quiet. Mom is here to take care of the kids and she wishes you all the best. Here is an early Happy 40th B-day in case I cant get access to the internet.... Kind of pathetic to write that when you boys are in one of the most isolated places in world and still have access to the internet!! Love you!!!! Your sis, Serena

Tony said...

May cool heads prevail; wait for your weather, position yourself and then blast to the top!
Climb smart and safe.
Suerte,
Tony

Linz said...

ok the recipe for sunshine is either:

cook 1 package of bacon as you play wu tang clan really really really loud...full album, full package of pig.

or

take 7 pieces of toilet paper, cut into 34 equal smaller squares...sprinkle on lucky charms made with chocolate milk...then toss off the back portch at 7:34pm

one gets rid of pesky ghosts and the other makes sunshine.
I'll do both. Can't hurt.
-L

heyarlo said...

Wishing you the best for an enjoyable and safe summit and return. I have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Arden

Jessica said...

Hello Rob and the Team,
Sending stupendous wishes from the Dual Immersion Academy (5th grade)in Grand Junction, CO. I've been following the blog & sharing tidbits with the kids. They have so many questions for you!!! Best of luck on impeccable weather, spirits, and health. with love from all 25 of us, Jessica