Hello Everyone!
This is Amy, Chris's sister with a summit update from Camp 1. He called while he was cooking - it was only 10 degrees, but with no wind which is good. They plan to head up to Camp 2 tomorrow (wed) and then go straight from Camp 2 to summit on Thursday and all the way back down by Friday the 15th. They really have to boogie it back down as they have a ride waiting for them at base camp on the 15th. Chris said not to expect to hear anything until late on Thursday, so if you don't hear from me, its b/c they are not in a good place to call yet.
Laurent and Chris were joined by Chris's good friend Fred Strang. Chris and Fred have been climbing together for years, so it will make for a good solid team. The only mitigating factor of course is weather, so please send calm and clear thoughts to Cho Oyu in Nepal over the next 3 days!
post a question if you have any and thanks for following, I know that they really appreciate it!
Be well,
Amy Klinke
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Summit Aspirations...
We have ben waiting patiently, we have been checking a variety of weather forecasts, we have have been eating our veggies and maintaining our caloric intake, we have changed flights and plans, and now we are going to try for the summit on the 13th. We will leave tomorrow for Camp 1 in what will be some foul high wind conditions, then move up to Camp 2 in hopefully diminishing winds, and the leave around 2 am for the summit on the 13th. If that does not work we will have to wait on more day and head up on the 14th. If it is the 14th we will have to descend from the summit all the way to ABC on the same day, then wake up early and head down to BC to catch our jeep to the border.
That is our plan at the moment, but as always it is subject to the forces of Mother Nature. We will be out of contact until at least the 15th.
Everyone here thanks you for your continued support.
Chris Klinke
Cho Oyu ABC
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Hurry Up and Wait
The weather certainly has not been cooperating with us and has forced us to make some decisions. Laurent and I are going to stay and extend our visas through the 15th of October with a forecast that says there is a summit window on the 13th. Matt is leaving to join his wife on a three week vacation in Thailand.
Right now I have been taking advantage of the Urkainian Teams Banya (Steam Room) what a great experience in ABC.
I will let you know more about our plans as they materialize.
Chris Klinke
ABC Cho Oyu
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Weather Woes
The weather gods are fighting us with. We are back in ABC and are debating about the feasibility of another summit push. Permit and visa's expire on the 11th, flights are on the 10th and 11th. Decisions, decisions.......
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)